2018 – 2019 Maverick Theatre Company Season Auditions – SPRING
by Mary Rohde Scudday
Directed by Professor Andrew Christopher Gaupp
World Premiere Production
Audition Sign-up Website: Please click here.
Auditions: January 14 and 15, 2019 from 6:00 – 9:00 p.m.
Call-backs: January 16, 2019
- Read the script once the playwright has completed it. It will be placed in the greenroom for you to read. A DRAFT version will be available in November.
- Sign up for an audition slot online.
- Bring 1 acting resume and 1 headshot.
- BFA Musical Theatre and BFA Performance majors are required to present two memorized, contrasting one-minute contemporary monologues from plays of your choice.
- BA and Non-Theatre Arts majors should present two memorized, contrasting one-minute contemporary monologues from plays of your choice, or you may read from a single monologue “side” that will be provided at the audition.
- Men need to indicate on their audition form if they can play the piano and can read music for one of the roles.
A call-back (additional auditions) list will be posted on the Greenroom bulletin board following the auditions.
Directors and Stage Managers Only, Friday, January 18, 2019 at 6:00 p.m. in FA 419.
Cast lists will be posted in the Greenroom on the callboard, FA 177A (across from the Studio Theatre). Please initial next to your name if you are cast.
BA Traveling Children’s Show Auditions
This show will tour Arlington area Day-cares and after-school programs. Only BA’s are allowed to audition. Auditions will consist of cold readings from the script and a short movement/character audition. Each slot is 20 minutes long. Professor Chapa will email copies of the sides to all BA students. You do not have to memorize the sides but please be familiar with them. Please remember to arrive at least 15 minutes early to fill out the audition form. Also, remember to bring your work and class schedules.
Auditions will be held on January 14th – 15th from 2:00 – 5:00 p.m. in the Swift Center.
Please click the button below to sign up for an audition time.
Maverick Dance Company Auditions
Placement auditions for the audition-only course, DNCE 2139 Dance Performance II, will be held on December 11, 2018 at 5:00 p.m. in Swift Center 126. Audition will consist of ballet barre, modern center combination, and improvisation/partnering.
JANUARY 15 and 17:
Spring 2019 casting auditions for Maverick Dance Company will be held on January 15 and 17, 2019 at 5:00 p.m. in Swift Center 126. Dancers should attend both auditions and will need to enroll in DNCE 1139 Dance Performance I course to be considered for casting. Come warmed up, dressed to dance, and prepared to learn different dance combinations as well as improvise and partner. No prior materials will need to be prepared.
Broadway Mavericks Auditions
Directed by Dr. Katherine Noone
Audition Sign-up Website: Please click here.
Auditions: January 14 and 15; 6:00 to 7:30 p.m.
Call-backs: January 16; 6:00 to 7:30 p.m.
- Students auditioning for plays and musicals must read them in advance. Copies will be placed in the Greenroom (they need to be read in the greenroom and not removed).
- BFA Theatre Arts Musical Theatre and BFA Performance majors are required to audition for all theatre season productions. BFA Musical Theatre students must also audition for and accept if cast for Broadway Mavericks.
NOTE: Broadway Mavericks rehearses T/Th from 3:30 to 5:00 p.m. and Fridays from 1:00 to 2:00 p.m. The student must be available to these times every week and performances at night when given at least 2 weeks’ notice.
- BROADWAY MAVERICKS AUDITION PREPARATION:
- BFA Musical Theatre majors (NOT IN BROADWAY MAVERICKS FALL ’18) must sing:
- One 32-bar cut up-tempo song
- One 32-bar musical theatre ballad.
- Please supply sheet music in your keyfor the pianist. No loose sheet music. Please provide your music in a thin 3-ring binder or mounted in a manila folder.
- If you have questions or need assistance, contact Dr. Katherine Noone, or any of the Musical Theatre faculty.
- All other students are highly recommended to do the same preparation as noted above.
- All members of Broadway Mavericks in Fall ’18 must only attend callbacks
- Callbacks will consist of sight-reading harmony parts in a group and a dance audition. Please dress for the dance audition with appropriate clothing and shoes.
Arrive twenty (20) minutes prior to your audition time to fill out audition paperwork. Singers need to know their approximate vocal (singing) range from highest note to lowest note to write on the audition form and resume. See a musical theatre faculty member for help with this, if needed.
Flight 12 Improv Auditions
BFA Performance Auditions
Auditions consist of two contrasting monologues from published plays (1 minute in length each). A 16-bar song is encouraged, but not required. UTA sends a faculty representative to the major recruiting conferences and events in the DFW area. Students may also audition privately in February. Each student auditioning privately will be required to submit an audition form, resume, and headshot at the time of the audition.
BFA Musical Theatre Auditions
Auditions consist of portions from two (2) contrasting musical theatre pieces (16-32 bars in length) showing range, storytelling, and variety, as well as a one-minute contemporary monologue from a published play. Please bring sheet music in the correct key, double-sided, and in a binder. An accompanist will be provided. Each student auditioning will be required to submit an audition form, resume, and headshot at the time of audition.
BFA in Design & Technology
All BFA candidates must formally audition for admittance into the program. Auditions consist of the prospective student’s presentation of a current portfolio and resume to one or more of the design/tech faculty. Auditions are typically ten minutes long and are followed by a brief Q&A. Students can audition either on site at UTA or through recruitment conferences where a UTA Department of Theatre Arts representative is present.
BA in Theatre Arts
No audition required.